The 404 or Not Found error message is a HTTP standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with the server, but the server could not find what was requested.
The web site hosting server will typically generate "404 - Page Not Found" web page, when users attempts to follow a broken or dead link.
from a terminal or click the details button in Update Manager after hitting the refresh button you will see errors such as: If the error is due to a PPA - usually unticking the similarly named PPA with the URL shown in the error message will resolve this.
This is a great addition to any Mac running Mac OS X Lion, and it really helps to reduce the Launch Pad clutter that some software packages like Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office dump into the Launch Pad.
Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).
Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?
Its in my PPA: /tmp/awk2tput sgr0 if [ -s /tmp/awk2] then tput setaf 1 printf "PPA's going to be removed\n%s\n" "$(cat /tmp/awk2.txt)" tput sgr0 while read -r line; do echo "sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:$line"; done W: Failed to fetch 404 Not Found , W: Failed to fetch 404 Not Found , W: Failed to fetch 404 Not Found this just saved a duplicate question from being posted..
I had the body of my Q ready and just as I started to type my title found the link.. there are some listed in Thank you for your interest in this question.
But now there’s Launch Control, a free utility that allows you to hide any app from appearing in Launch Pad without uninstalling the app from Lion.
Download Launch Control from developer Chaos Launch Control is a tiny download and extremely easy to use, it displays a list of all the apps contained within your Launch Pad and you just uncheck the ones you don’t want to see anymore.
Since this seems to be one of the main "Failed to fetch" answers, I just want to point out here that this also can happen with Ubuntu "partner" URLs in the sources.list; check your errors to see if those are the ones and try commenting them out.
I ran into that issue (and solution) upgrading from Quetzal.